Saturday 26 October 2013

6th Do Over Challenge Reveal!

Welcome to the 6th Do Over Challenge hosted by mixed media artist extraordinaire Jeannie K Dukik of Jewelry by Jeannie.

For this Challenge, Jeannie sent 20 lucky participants a piece of jewelry to make over. Check out the beautiful packaging!


Just love that beautiful little polymer clay tag and the beautiful handmade little envelope. I was also lucky enough to receive a pretty little pair of earrings along with the do-over piece. They nearly stayed intact 'cos I loved them so!

And here is the piece destined for a make-over:

What a beauty! Look at the gorgeous earthy colours and the fancy pants pendant!

I had exactly the same trouble last time - I liked the piece so much that I did not want to dismantle it.

Then I came up with a very over-ambitious plan involving dragons and some serious seed beading. Got thus far and my brain shut down:


You can see I got my Vintaj Patinas out and aged that gorgeous pendant. Very pleased with the results I was too. The holes were intended to help the seed bead dragon get a good grip on it and to add some extra interest.

Unfortunately my imagination and my actual skills set are worlds apart.

Seed bead dragon abandonned I decided to make something that I've been meaning to make since last summer - a nice, dangly anklet.

So on a particularly cold day, my beautiful daughter and I snuggled up on my big bed and covered it in beads, findings and tools (and lots of hot tea).

I gave my daughter a packet of headpins and told her to put whatever she liked on them. And then I turned them into dangles and attached them to the chain of the necklace.

And so to our finished anklet:

It's messy, it's fun, it's made with a lot of love and now my perfect girl and I are fighting over who get's to wear it! We decided to call it "Magic Carpet Ride" after a song that was playing on the radio while we were creating.



You can see that we used the beads from the earrings and virtually the entire necklace plus a few other beads and charms that my daughter took a shine to. I think she made beautiful dangles!

As for the pendant? Well I still had special plans for that. It antiqued so beautifully that I wanted something more rustic for it. So with the one remaining bead from the necklace patina'd and used as a toggle bar I created this bracelet that I like to call "I'm not as old as I look" :

And a close up:



Many thanks to Jeannie for her generosity and for hosting this fantastic blog hop. Please be sure to pop over to the other participant's blogs to see their do-over pieces:

Jeannie K Dukic
Penny Houghton (you are here!)
Susan Delaney
Becky Pancake
Therese Frank
Donetta Farrington
Molly Alexander
Mowse Doyle
Renetha Stanziano
Ginger Davis Allman
Kathy Richardson
Christie Murrow
Veralynne Malone
Shai Williams
Beti Horvath
Linda Britt
Miranda Ackerley
Mischelle Andrade
Tracy Stillman
Charlene Bausinger
Deana Hager

(I had a little trouble getting the list of links to cooperate, so if they don't work then you can find a list of participants with working links here.)

Oh and I nearly forgot! If you fancy taking a do-over challenge yourself then clickon the pic below for more details.

 

15 comments:

  1. Hi Nelly,
    I love the anklet and it is even more special, because your girl helped make it. I like what you did with the pendant, although I really like what you started to do with it in the first picture. Great job.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Therese, I really liked the way it was originally going too. There's a very good chance I'll pick up where I left off and have it as a long term WIP while I learn the skills I need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Nelly,
    What a gorgeous anklet. I love that you got your daughter involved in creating this beauty. Getting my blog up now :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your seed bead dragon intrigued me, but the end result in very unique indeed. The anklet is fun. I especially like the dangles your daughter made.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job Nelly. An anklet is a fun idea. You are passing on your skills to your daughter at a young age, how cool is that? She did a good job choosing beads. Your pendant bracelet is really unique.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very creative and unique. I love that your daughter helped you with it. She picked very nice beads that really complemented the original ones. And I never thought of changing the focal like you did...brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea to alter the focal- and then kick it up to a whole new level! Love that the anklet was done with your daughter- lots of special memories in that piece. Christie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea to make an anklet. I love the idea of getting your daughter to "randomize" the dangles. And the bracelet is great. Like the shield you might use if you met that dragon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it's great that you and your girl created the anklet together. And, the name of it is so appropriate. It almost looks like y'all were on a magic carpet ride on that bed together too spending some creative time together. And the name of your bracelet makes me smile as well. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had the same problem. I just loved one of the necklaces that I was sent so it was hard to take it apart. Great designs and I just love the memories that come complete with the anklet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We ALL had the same problem...Jeannie's pieces are just too cool to relish taking them apart! However, I think you and your sweet girl did a wonderful job with the anklet, and I agree that she made wonderful dangles. Super job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great story and memory the anklet will make. Maybe you need to make a copy of the post for you and your daughter's memory box! great job.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great job in using all of the beads, and tell your daughter that she did a fabulous job designing the danglies! I love the bracelet as well, and the patina looks fabulous with the chocolate brown linen. :) Molly

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the "Magic" Bracelet. My daughter has moved out on her own and I soooo miss her helping me with my crafts You guys did a great job! And the pendant....I love it. Great title too! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment :-)